4 Tricks to Make Your Morning Coffee Healthier
All coffee lovers might agree on the pure magic that one feels after taking that first sip of their morning coffee cup of joe. “Is coffee healthy?” you may ask. The answer is an absolute yes, when consuming the right amount! And it can be made even healthier.
Tips and Tricks For a Healthier Coffee
Coffee is a stimulant that can work to activate alertness in the mind and elevate mood levels. It may also help you live longer, aid your body to process glucose better, reduce your risk of developing heart failure, and many other benefits.
With a few small changes, you can reap even more benefits from drinking your beloved beverage. Let’s take a closer look.
1. Choosing a Healthier Coffee Creamer
Having coffee with a creamer can make it “a latte” better. However, you can still enjoy your latte by substituting the creamer for a healthier one. This would be your opportunity to read labels at grocery stores.
For example, you can simply find a creamer with less sugar than the one you are currently consuming.
Ideally, completely cutting out sugar from your morning beverage is recommended to prevent obesity, diabetes, and other chronic illnesses. Taking baby steps counts, though, and you can improve your health one choice at a time.
2. Adding Spices to the Mix
We aren’t talking about the masala kind of spices here. There are many spices in your kitchen cabinet that you may actually come to appreciate after trying this hack!
Infusing your morning brew with spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or cardamom can really give it a kick. Cinnamon has many medicinal properties, including anti-inflammation, antioxidant, and antibacterial properties.
Nutmeg is another aromatic spice found to boost the immune system by promoting digestion. Similarly, cardamom has been proven to aid digestion. This can be particularly useful for an acidic drink like coffee.
3. Staying Hydrated while Enjoying Your Coffee
In addition to being a central nervous stimulant, coffee is also a diuretic. What this means is that it can cause your body to produce more urine and lower your blood pressure.
A way to combat the potential negative side effects of coffee is to hydrate your body with water well before and after your morning drink. As a general rule of thumb, you should try to drink between half an ounce to an ounce of water for each pound that you weigh.
Since everyone has different needs, you will want to consider your specific health condition to determine how to replenish your body.
4. Opting for Organic Coffee Beans
Isn’t it brew-ti-ful to think about how your favorite drink was once a bean? The quality of your coffee beans can make all the difference in the overall taste of your morning coffee. Here’s how to be more savvy about your coffee:
- When purchasing your coffee beans, look for the origin, ways of processing, and whether they are organic. Different origins of coffee can lead to a variety in taste, so it depends on your personal preference. The different coffee processing methods also impact the overall flavor. You can experiment to see which brew works for you.
- Why choose organic beans? More than ever before, people are choosing to buy organic food. What it implies is food without the use of chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Opt for organic coffee to reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals. Organic coffee beans are packed with more antioxidants, which aids in the reduction of many illnesses. Therefore, your morning brew can actually be medicinal!
Like all things, consume your coffee in moderation and empower yourself with information so that you can make better choices.
Empower Yourself With the Help of Z.E.N.
At Z.E.N. Foods, we are here for all health lovers. We offer a variety of high-quality, healthy meal and juice cleanse programs delivered right to your door. Call us at (310) 205-9368 today to find out more information about our current specials!