Healthy Foods to Help Reduce Heartburn Symptoms
December 16, 2020
Heartburn is a common but unpleasant condition that affects people worldwide. Americans are no exception to this condition. According to the American College of Gastroenterology, more than 60 million Americans experience heartburn symptoms at least once a month.
Luckily, heartburn symptoms can improve, or even disappear, by leading a healthy diet.
In this article, we will talk about how to get rid of heartburn through diet and lifestyle modifications.
The Best Foods For Heartburn Relief
Heartburn symptoms, such as acid reflux occur when the stomach fluids enter the esophagus. Changing your diet can significantly improve heartburn symptoms. Dietary changes also can help you avoid expensive medical treatments.
Including these foods in your diet can help you ease or prevent heartburn symptoms:
According to studies, diets with high vegetable intake are associated with lower heartburn symptoms, like acid reflux.
Most vegetables have a neutral pH, meaning their acidity levels won’t affect the stomach pH levels and cause reflux.
Vegetables are a rich source of fiber, which can also help with other symptoms , such as bloating, fullness, and gas , related to heartburn. Nevertheless, some vegetables cause gas production. These vegetables include onions, carrots, celery, beans, Brussel sprouts, and beans.
Including certain vegetables in your diet can help with heartburn. Some examples we recommend are:
- Squash (acorn, white or yellow)
Incorporating fruits in your diet can help with heartburn relief. Fruits contain dietary fiber and most fruits are alkaline , meaning they have low acidity.
If you often experience heartburn, we recommend eating fruits like:
- Honeydew melon
Animal protein is also helpful against indigestion symptoms that lead to heartburn.
According to studies, pork, beef, and chicken-derived proteins increase the production of Cholecystokinin (CCK) levels. CCK is a hormone that helps with digestion.
In a nutshell, lean meats are beneficial to your overall health. Nevertheless, to prevent heartburn symptoms, avoid consuming high amounts of animal protein.
Other foods that benefit gastrointestinal health, hence reduce heartburn symptoms, are complex carbohydrates:
- Brown rice
Other Tips to Reduce Heartburn Symptoms
Implementing healthy foods in your diet is a good start to ease heartburn. However, to get rid of heartburn is necessary to change lifestyle habits like:
- Dietary Modifications: Besides implementing healthy foods, to eliminate heartburn, you will need to avoid certain foods such as acidic foods like coffee, citrus fruits, and alcoholic beverages. Other foods to avoid are spicy foods and saturated-fatty foods.
- Exercise: First, to prevent any health issues, it is important to exercise according to your physiological needs. To reduce your chances of getting heartburn, we recommend having a soothing meal, such as oatmeal, 3 hours before exercising.
- Resting Positions: After eating, avoid laying down on your back for at least 3 hours. To soothe heartburn symptoms, lie down on your left side.
- Stress: Stress can also worsen heartburn symptoms. To manage stress, we highly encourage you to try meditation.
When to See a Doctor?
Most people who experience heartburn can successfully eliminate symptoms with lifestyle and dietary changes. However, in other cases, patients may need medical treatments to find relief.
In addition to the discomfort that heartburn causes, it can also lead to esophageal cancer. If you experience heartburn on a daily basis, it is best to see a doctor. For severe heartburn cases, patients may need surgery or medications.
With Z.E.N. Foods, you can still enjoy meals, even when removing foods that cause heartburn. We offer healthy and tasty meal delivery plans to suit your needs. Reach out to us at (310) 205-9368!