Can Gut Health Affect Your Performance at the Gym?
February 23, 2022
Like the gym, your gut was designed to keep you healthy. Just like choosing the right equipment for your exercise regimen, you have to consume the right foods to keep your gut in optimum health. You can improve gut health through a nutritious diet that supports digestion and helps absorb the vitamins your body needs. When your system is running at optimal capacity, you are more likely to feel vital and energetic. On the other hand, a sluggish gut can slow you down, draining the energy and stamina necessary for an effective workout. The good news is that by taking better care of your gut, you can help boost your fitness performance and overall health.
What Does the Gut Do?
Also known as the digestive system, the gut plays a key role in health and wellness. The colon itself contains a microbiome of probiotic bacteria that helps keep your body in good working order. Along with other digestive organs, the gut converts food to energy, providing the fuel you need before hitting the gym. Many know by now that food is an important factor in physical fitness, and a healthy digestive tract absorbs the nutrients more efficiently than a sluggish one. Therefore, part of learning how to improve gut health naturally begins not at the gym but at the table.
Best Foods for Gut Health
There are an array of foods for good gut health. These nutrient-rich foods actually work in harmony with your colon and other organs that carry out the digestive process. These foods also help balance our gut’s microbiome and produce good bacteria that our digestive tract needs. Increasing probiotic intake through food is a great way to start. Here are some tasty options:
- Yogurt: It is full of probiotics, but sometimes also full of sugar. Opt for sugar-free or plain yogurt to avoid the adverse effects of sweeteners. You can add your own fresh fruit to taste.
- Bananas: This gut-loving fruit has fiber that keeps your digestive system and its lining healthy and working well. This means a more effective workout for you.
- Brussel Sprouts: Not everyone likes them, but your gut will love them! These veggies actually fight the bad bacteria and can support regularity.
- Garlic: Another one that combats bad bacteria. It also helps the gut maintain balance and has anti-inflammatory properties.
- Ginger: A food like this can be enjoyed as an ingredient in many meals. Adding some ginger to your diet can help reduce bloating by keeping your digestive system moving and keeping you feeling more energized for that next workout.
- Want more? There are five gut-friendly foods to consider as well.
A Healthier Gut Can Mean a Better Workout
Now that you know some of the science behind how the gut functions, you can begin to take advantage of its benefits. When consuming digestive-friendly foods that are rich in probiotics, you might notice a difference in the way you feel and in your performance at the gym. Good health begins from the inside, and Z.E.N. Foods believes that the nutrition your body needs should be accessible and delicious. Check out our healthy meal delivery plans, or call (310) 205-9368 and let our consultant help you put together a gut-healthy meal plan today.